I think the general consensus for Destiny 2’s Season of the Chosen is that it’s starting off pretty strong. Perhaps not necessarily with the activities, as Battlegrounds are fine, but nothing especially groundbreaking. But definitely in terms of the loot chase, with a ton of new, good items to go after and a wide range of places to find them.
We know a certain amount about what’s coming this season from the roadmap. Two new Battlegrounds and one new Strike, but also a promised Tex Mechanica “redacted” exotic quest.
The only thing that’s been publicly revealed about the exotic quest is that it has something to do with the ship seen below, as that was labeled as part of the “exotic quest” in the press kit. But that’s it, there are no other public details from Bungie itself.
But I wanted to actually get into the datamining today, because I think it’s going to generate a significant amount of hype if you at least know the rough edges of what’s going on here. If you would prefer to know nothing, I understand that, and you can turn back now. I will not be getting into story spoilers, but I will talk about the nature of the quest that’s coming, and what you get for doing it.
- The headline is that supposedly the upcoming Tex Mechanica quest may be something on the scale of the Whisper mission or Zero Hour. While the Hawkmoon dam farm had some elements of that, it was still mostly existing areas we’d already been to. This Cabal ship should be a brand new space.
- It’s also quite a big space, from what we know about it, indicating the kind of sprawling quest we would expect from a quest like Whisper or Zero Hour. It also has the build of “you do the mission first then unlock director access to it” like we’ve seen with those quests in the past.
- Within the mission, there is some sort of “open hidden caches” mechanic to progress something faster, indicating perhaps the pursuit of a catalyst or ship.
- The enemies on board seem to be both Cabal and Scorn, indicating some sort of conflict there, which would explain the strange appearance of a random Screeb in the Season of the Chosen trailer.
- There are some indications via upcoming weekly challenges we may get access to the ship itself as soon as week 3, but the exotic quest may not launch until week 9. So there may be some story component here that isn’t just a secret mission, though the secret mission will take place here.
- The Tex Mechanica exotic here is Dead Man’s Tale, a new scout rifle, not First Curse like many were predicting. I do not know what its exotic perks are yet. The below image is the gun with an ornament on.
To sum up, something rather large is coming and it seems very likely to be on the scale of a Zero Hour, past even what we recently saw for the Zero Hour-ish Hawkmoon farm quest. And it will involve Scorn which we have really not dealt with since Forsaken. Who taught them to fly spaceships?
Anyway, I don’t regret knowing the above information as all it does is make me really hyped about what’s to come. It’s possible we may start seeing this ship show up in two weeks, but if not, this will all arrive later in the season. Stay tuned.